Practicing Mindfulness and Presence with Nichole Proffitt
On today’s episode of Financial Finesse, I’m interviewing Nichole Proffitt, founder of Presence Mindfulness, Somatic Counseling & Coaching for Women, based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Nichole is a graduate of the UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, with a certification in mindfulness facilitation. She is also a Certified Mindfulness Teacher Professional and holds interdisciplinary degrees in psychology, education and the arts. Nichole is trained as a counselor, coach and dance teacher and has advanced-level training in Somatic Experiencing, a nervous system-based trauma healing modality. Her work is informed by 20 years of meditation practice and a lifetime as an artist.
In this episode, Nichole and I discuss:
- The importance of being more present in our daily lives
- How to reduce anxiety by first accepting it, rather than trying to fight it
- And how even as a beginner, we can all practice mindfulness so that we can experience life more fully.
From improving our mental health and relationships to our careers and finances, we can all benefit from incorporating Nichole’s tips into our daily routines.
Nichole Proffitt on meditation:
- [04:57] What it means to be present.
- [07:58] The importance of being more present in our daily lives.
- [13:39] Managing anxiety through mindfulness and acceptance
- [16:15] How Nichole’s training in somatic experiencing helps clients alleviate the effects of nervous system trauma.
- [18:28] Why Nichole believes meditation is key for building a life that feels useful and manageable
- [20:51] Nichole explains the “right” way to meditate.
- [22:24] The relationship between being present and having presence.
- [26:00] How to cultivate more presence and truly connect with others.
- [27:55] Nichole’s personal journey that led to her becoming a mindfulness coach.
- [36:00] The group coaching programs Nichole offers clients and newcomers.